What You Should Wear When Swimming
Whether you’re a casual swimmer or looking to go professional, there are different pieces of swimwear that are recommended for you. In this article, you will learn about the different types of swimwear that you should be looking for depending on your age, gender, and swimming purpose.
Are you purchasing swimming lessons for your kids? Do you want to know what they should wear to be most comfortable and effective in the water? Do you want to buy something new for yourself that will help you achieve your professional goals? Regardless of the reason, you will have your answers below with this detailed list of what to wear in different situations.
Competitive Vs. Casual
When you want to get into the competitive game, or you want to wear something for fitness purposes, there are a few items of clothing in particular that you should be looking at.
First of all, you should look for brand name swimwear. There’s a reason why certain brands like Speedo have been on the market for so long - it’s because they produce the best quality outfits. Afterward, you should be determining the purpose for your swimwear. Here’s a healthy list to break it down.
If you are looking focasual swimwear, you should consider the following:
- Longevity of swimwear vs. speed enhancement
- Functionality and flexibility of swimwear
- Comfortability over style
When looking for competitive swimwear, you’ll want to consider factors like speed enhancement, high-quality material, and best aerodynamics. You’ll be able to choose specific pieces from there.
Adults Vs. Children
Adults and children alike must wear swimwear and accessories that they are comfortable with. For example, adults can choose to wear extra layers, while children should wear what is most comfortable and buoyant.
Both adults and children should consider:
- Goggles, for being able to open your eyes underwater. This is important for adults and children alike, as well as professionals and casuals.
- Swimming caps, for holding the hair in to reduce drag resistance and to keep the hair from getting tangled. This is a great choice for people of all ages, genders, and swimming goals.
- Nose plugs, which are particularly beneficial for those who struggle to prevent water from going up their nose while they swim. This is not a required accessory, but may be helpful in some situations.
- Proper swimwear, which goes without saying. Swim trunks, two piece swimsuits, and one piece swimsuits are usually the most sought-after pieces of swimwear by adults and children alike.
Children may also want to invest in extra accessories such as floaties and kickboards, which provide added safety while they are swimming, keeping them buoyant while they learn essential swimming basics.
Men Vs. Women
While there are some pieces of swimming gear that are shared between men and women, such as hair caps, goggles, and some types of swim shorts, there are also many different pieces that are more suitable for one body type over another. If you want to be comfortable in the pool, while also looking to enhance your strengths and improve upon your swimming skills, you might want to look for the best pieces of gear that work best with your body.
Men typically wear items such as:
- Swim trunks
- Form-fitting swimming briefs
Women are usually wearing items such as:
- A one-piece bathing suit
- A two-piece bathing suit (effective if the entire top piece covers the breasts well, and the person can move around without the two-piece falling off.
- Bikini - While this is great for casual wear, this is not an effective swimming piece for competitive or fitness swimming.
Of course, people of all genders, ages, and reasons may look for the extra accessories such as goggles and swim caps. Additional items include chest straps, and swimming leggings. Remember to keep in mind the various materials and fabrics available from each brand, so that you can find something you are most comfortable with. Whether you are preparing yourself for a competitive swimming season, or you just want to be comfortable with a casual swim, you’ll find something to give you the best opportunities during your time in the water.